A dog bite attack can result in a serious injury: physically, emotionally and financially. Sadly, every year, millions of innocent people are bitten and seriously injured by canines in the U.S. There are more than 850,000 dog bites requiring medical attention and over four million incidences ranging from minor nips to serious dog attacks resulting in serious bodily injury and even death.
More Dog Bite Statistics
At least fifteen people die each year as a result of dog attacks in the United States. Unfortunately, the majority of bite victims are children, and in approximately 75% of child cases, the dog belongs to a family member or friend. Although certain dog breeds are stated to be more ferocious than others (such as pit bulls), there are many canine breeds which are capable of causing serious injury and death.
Treatment for Dog Bite
If you are the victim of an attack, here are some simple steps to follow:
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible. The bite could result in infection or even rabies. You should never assume that the dog has had all of its shots regularly, even if the owner tells you so. You should always go to an emergency room or see your doctor as soon as possible. Make sure to get medical documentation of the attack as well.
- Get information as to who owns the dog, their address, phone number, etc. In California, a dog’s behavior is always the responsibility of its owner. The owner cannot avoid his or her liability by attempting to prove that he or she did not realize the dog would bite or by stating that the dog had never bitten anyone in the past.
- Contact an attorney as soon as possible. When you are victimized by someone’s dog, you need representation to make sure that the owner or the owner’s insurance pays for your medical bills, time lost from work, suffering and other costs associated to the attack. You should never make an agreement with the owner “on the side.”
The Best Los Angeles, California Dog Bite Attorneys
In California, the animal bite laws protect the victims, even if the animal does not have a past history of attacks. You should not have to pay medical bills because someone else’s pet attacked you. That is simply not fair. You need expert dog bite lawyer fighting for you.
If you, or someone you love, has been te victim of a dog bite attack, please call 877-702-7274 to speak to an experienced Los Angeles attorney today. Our dog bite attorneys will not charge you any money upfront. Our lawyers take cases on a contingency basis, which means we only get paid when you get paid.
Latest posts by Arash Khorsandi (see all)
- Police on the hunt for reckless hit and run truck driver – January 30, 2014
- When Can I Sue For a Dangerous Drug Prescription? – January 21, 2014
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Los Angeles – January 6, 2014