When it comes to dog bites and law, the rules vary from state to state.
In California, the dog bite lawsays that the owner of a dog is responsible for the damages suffered by anyone who is bitten while in a public place or lawfully in a private place, including the dog owner’s property.
The fact that a dog does not have prior attacks, or that the owner is not aware of a dog’s viciousness does not matter. The dog owner is still responsible.
California dog bite laws include “strict liability” rules on the owners of vicious animals. Strict liability means that the dog owner is liable for damages and injuries even if the dog owner used ordinary care and was not negligent.
A dog owner may be liable if his or her employees, business partners or family knew of the animal’s dangerous ways when the animal was in their care.
Here are ten things to do if you are the victim of a dog bite:
- If you have recently been injured by an animal, get medical care immediately.
- Immediately report the dog bite to the police and request a copy of the police report.
- Try to get the name and contact information of the animal owner.
- Get the names and contact information of any people who witnessed your accident.
- Take photographs of the animal which caused your injuries in the location of the accident.
- Take photographs of any visible injuries you have suffered as a result of the dog bite.
- Do not have any communication with the owner of the dog or the owner’s insurance company. Why? If you accept any form of compensation, you may give up your right to claim additional damages.
- Try to save any clothing that may have been damaged by the animal.
- Take photographs of any property damage caused by the animal.
- Contact our dog bite law offices for a free evaluation. We have handled numerous lawsuits and have obtained financial compensation for dog bite victims.
If you or someone you love has been bitten by someone else’s dog make sure to document the injuries you incurred and consult an experienced attorney to see if you have grounds for a claim. The time you have to file a lawsuit is limited so it’s important that you do this without delay following a dog bite injury.
Feel free to contact our Los Angeles Law Firm via email at Info@ArashLaw.com or call us at 800-890-7375. One of our lawyers will be happy to assist with your personal injury or dog biting case.
Latest posts by Arash Khorsandi (see all)
- Police on the hunt for reckless hit and run truck driver – January 30, 2014
- When Can I Sue For a Dangerous Drug Prescription? – January 21, 2014
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Los Angeles – January 6, 2014