When it comes to personal injury cases, bicycle accidents are quite common. This is because bicyclists are very vulnerable on the road. When it comes to a bicycle and a car, statistics have show that cyclist will suffer far more severe injuries.
Bicycle Accident Statistics 2009
The following bicycle accident statistics (2009) from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NTSA) show that bicycle injuries have gone down, thanks to helmet and safety laws, but bicycle accidents are still common.
- 630 bicyclists died on US roads in 2009 (718 in 2008, 1,003 in 1975)
- 74 were 14 or younger, a reduction of 58 per cent from the 178 killed in 2000
- Bicyclist deaths represented 2 per cent of all 2009 traffic fatalities
- 51,000 bicyclists were injured in traffic in 2009 (Up sharply from 43,000 in 2007)
Bicycle Accident Statistics 2008
Here are bicycle accident statistics (2008) that were released in 2010:
- One-seventh of the cyclists killed were between 5 and 15 years old.
- Average age of a bicyclist killed on US roads: 41
- Average age of a bicyclist injured on US roads: 31
- Bicyclists 15 and under killed: 93. Injured: 13,000
- Bicyclists 16 to 34 killed: 168. Injured 20,000
- Bicyclists 35 to 54 killed: 270. Injured 13,000
- Bicyclists 55 and older killed: 179. Injured 6,000
- Alcohol involvement was reported in 37% of 2008 deaths
- Nearly one fourth (23%) of the cyclists killed were drunk
- Fatal crashes typically were urban (69%) and not at intersections (64%).
Fortunately, the majority of bicycle accident claims are usually decided in the favor of cyclists, due to the fact that most of the burden is placed on the drivers or automobiles to be vigilant, responsible and safe. Victims of bike accidents are likely to be in a position to receive an accident settlement.
if you, or someone you love, has been the victim of a bicycle accident, please call 877-702-7274 to speak to an experienced California bicycle accident attorney. Our bicycle accident law firm will represent you on a contingency basis, which means we do not charge you upfront. We only get paid if you get paid.
Latest posts by Arash Khorsandi (see all)
- Police on the hunt for reckless hit and run truck driver – January 30, 2014
- When Can I Sue For a Dangerous Drug Prescription? – January 21, 2014
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Los Angeles – January 6, 2014