What to Do After a Burbank Dog Attack
If you have been seriously injured in a Burbank Dog Attack, please call us now for a free, confidential consultation with a skilled Burbank Animal Bite lawyer.
It is important to identify the dog that bit you, mainly because if it is a stray and you are not able to identify it, you’re facing the possibility of having to undergo treatment for rabies, which can be painful.
Also, if you were bitten by a dog or any wild animal being kept by somebody, you probably are eligible to receive compensation from the animal’s owner, and you also might genuinely need that compensation to cover your medical charges, reimburse you for lost revenue, pay for plastic surgery down the road, as well as help you conquer the pain and being affected by your injuries.
After that, get medical assistance. You will be in very good company, because 1,000 Americans show up in emergency rooms every single day of the entire year because of animal bites alone!
Should you be harmed around the face, demand treatment by a cosmetic surgeon because emergency room doctors are amazing at keeping individuals alive but not necessarily the very best at making stitches and injuries look great.
After that, you’ll want to stick to the instructions from the doctor and take all of the prescriptions which are prescribed (with the exception of the painkillers, which normally are usually your discretion). You may also be required to remain out of the direct sun light, use sun block, use scar reduction lotion, change bandages, report for follow up treatment, go in for removing of stitches, massage the healing regions, etc.
If that’s the case, do it!
The verdict as to whether or not you will need rabies shots must be left to your physician. Shots are not always required, because rabies may not be in your geographic region. Don’t be concerned if your doctor informs you that you don’t need this unpleasant treatment.
If you have been seriously injured in a Burbank Dog Attack, please call us today for a no cost, confidential consultation with a knowledgeable Burbank Animal Attack lawyer.
If the dog owner is insured, you may get a call from an insurance provider representative.
Make sure you question him or her for the subsequent information:
- Name of insurance carrier
- Address of his or her business office
- Telephone number
- Claim number
- Name of the person who is covered
- The amount of money offered to pay medical costs (not everything, just medical expenses)
Take note of the following:
- Do not talk about money, payment of money, repayment, personal injury value or anything else relating to money
- Do not set up a session
- Do not compose a letter or a memo
- Do not permit yourself to be tape recorded
- Do not permit the sufferer to be photographed
- Do not go over who is accountable
- Do not accept money
Methods to Protect Your Legal Rights
If you have been seriously injured in a Burbank Animal Attack, please contact us today for your complimentary, private assessment with a knowledgeable Burbank Animal Bite attorney.
A dog attack victim needs to do the subsequent things to preserve his or her legal rights:
- Identify the dog. In a very critical scenario, this might entail getting and analyzing a DNA sample, that would require a lawyer’s involvement.
- Get the name and address of the owner of the dog, if possible. When you can, acquire the dog permit details.
- Get the name, address and telephone number of any prospective witnesses. You may need to go back to the accident scene, and knock on the doors of nearby homes and businesses. You should also revisit the scene of the incident a couple of times at the same time at which the incident occurred, because individuals often have a habit of going to the same spots as section of their daily regimen.
- Take pictures of all of your injuries, bruises and bloody garments.
- If feasible, obtain insurance details from the dog owner.
- If skin was lacerated or more serious, or if the harm was to the face, or if the victim was a young child, you can and should speak with a lawyer at no cost.
- Get your lawyer started while the info is fresh! The facts of your lawsuit need to be proven; the severity of your wounds need to be established. As obvious as the details and injuries may be to you, they are not going to be noticeable to an insurance adjuster sitting at a desk in an office building a couple weeks or months after the attack.
Furthermore, physicians are interested in curing you than proving the type and degree of your injuries to an insurance company, so the proper paperwork needs to be asked for from them at the proper times.
Your attorney will obtain the essential evidence and keep an eye on your treatment, so the insurance adjuster will comprehend exactly what occurred, and will ensure that you get a sufficient amount of money, if possible.
- Retain your attorney before starting any kind of proceeding relating to the dog! The laws of most cities, counties and states permit local authorities to decide whether a dog is unsafe and, in that case, the fate of the dog. Often this is known as a “dangerous dog hearing,” however it goes by other names as well.
Because “dog court” procedures may accidentally compromise the victim’s rights, she should never speak to animal control authorities until her lawyer compares the city and county ordinances, gains the department’s commitment as to which laws and steps they will be following, and is pleased that the problems addressed below will be resolved fairly.
If the victim receives a subpoena, her testimony is essential, making it even more important to immediately consult with an attorney — because a subpoena must be followed, to its letter.
If you have been injured in a Burbank Dog Attack, please call us right now for a no fee, private consultation with an experienced Burbank Animal Bite lawyer.
The victim should remember the following:
- Do not sign anything! Yes, you normally can sign the medical center admission files (provided that you were not bitten in the clinic itself). However, sign nothing offered by any insurance company, the owner of the dog, or the property manager or other owner of the property where the assault occurred. Do not write to, or make a report for, any insurance company, dog owner, or landlord or other property owner.
- Do not hesitate to consult an attorney! There are laws called “statutes of limitations.” They say that you lose all of your rights unless you report a court case within a specific amount of time after sustaining a bodily injury. Therefore, get in touch with an attorney without delay.
The dog attack victim’s right to a lawyer
A dog bite victim may have many different kinds of injuries and losses, from medical debts and mental harm, to loss of the prospect to gain income in the future because of disfigurement. A victim may be entitled to recover these losses from another individual and that individuals insurance company, provided that the victim presents the necessary proof, first to the insurance company and then perhaps in a court of law. There are two sets of laws the victim must adhere to, particularly those spelling out who is responsible for the injuries and losses, and those imposing rigid guidelines of data and process to set up that liability.
If you have been seriously injured in a Burbank Animal Attack, please contact us today for a complimentary, confidential assessment with a knowledgeable Burbank Animal Attack attorney.
Parents have particular considerations whenever their kids are harmed.
A hurt person and his or her family are not emotionally capable of vigorously enforcing their privileges. The biggest task they face is making certain the victim heals. In death cases, the family members grieve; it is not going to obtain data and put together legal briefs. In cases short of death, the victim and his or her family have to be hopeful, so the tendency is to decrease the suffering, even disregard it as much as possible. Nevertheless, it is there, and it may be there for quite a long time — forever, if wounds turn into ugly scars. Therefore, a vigorous advocate is a must.
An attorney with experience in defending persons with these injuries brings value to your claim. He or she has examined the outcomes of dog bite injuries, how to gather the information vital to completely prove not only what transpired in the past but also what the long term effects will be, the practices and steps of insurance providers when handling major circumstances like these, and the best way to effectively examine these circumstances to make sure that the victims get what they deserve. An attorney with experience has the talent to objectively evaluate both the strengths and the weaknesses of a lawsuit. Furthermore, an attorney is the only person who can turn a claim into a lawsuit if you are not being treated fairly. Without worrying about threat of a lawsuit, you’re at the mercy of the insurance firm.
Furthermore, the treatments frequently followed by animal control departments in “dog court” hearings may accidentally compromise the victim’s rights. A victim and her family members consequently should not speak with animal control authorities until her lawyer reviews the city and county ordinances, obtains the department’s determination as to which laws and techniques they will be following, and is content that the issues addressed in another place in Dog Bite Law will be resolved fairly.
If you have been injured in a Burbank Dog Attack, please call us now for your free, confidential consultation with a knowledgeable Burbank Animal Attack attorney.
The hazards of not retaining a lawyer
If you are dealing with the insurance company without a lawyer, then, as seriously as you are taking your injuries, the insurance company isn’t — you can be assured of that.
Others with related injuries have retained lawyers to present their claims to that very same insurance carrier. One thing that all those people have in common is an mindset of significance about what happened to them, and a driving desire to make sure they are taken care of fairly. The insurance firm will pay the correct amount to people, but not the ones who don’t take the initial step of preserving their legal rights by maintaining an attorney.
The individual at the insurance firm that you are interacting with (called the “adjuster”) may appear truthful and sympathetic — a very, excellent individual, a patient person. However, he or she must report to other individuals you will not talk to: a supervisor, a lawsuits examiner, a regional supervisor, and eventually the corporate office. The adjuster is paid an income and has a family. He or she wants to keep on working for that business, and maybe get a raise and a promotion. None of that will be risked for you.
Even if the adjuster hopes to aid you, because of some connection that you think has developed involving the two of you, you will not always be cared for fairly by the supervisor, claims examiner, regional manager, and corporate office. They don’t know you. To them, you’re absolutely nothing but a person without a lawyer.
You are not working with the adjuster, you are dealing with a faceless corporation, and to that firm you are nothing but a file, a liability, somebody who needs money that normally might be dispersed to the investors as profit.
If you don’t retain a lawyer, you’re on your own, against all individuals at the insurance firm, and all of its lawyers. When was the last time that you heard a happy ending to that story?
The fees of creating a lawsuit are often fairly small, when compared to the amount of money that is to be obtained. In an common claim, they may come to between $1000 and $2000. However, cases that are being put together for trial end up being very expensive — tens of thousands of dollars. Fortunately only 2% of lawsuits actually go to trial, so there is no substantial risk of the expenses “consuming up” the recovery.
It needs to be noted that the contingency fee system is exclusively American and that it has been under attack in recent years. Because it enables regular citizens to get legal help, the corporate world — insurance agencies and other industries — continues to be seeking to pass laws to abolish or cripple it. These laws take several diverse forms, such as an arbitrary limit on the quantity that a victim’s lawyer may charge. Note that only the victim’s attorney will be subject to any limitation, while the insurance industry’s attorneys would proceed to not just charge their usual hourly rates but also rely upon the huge monetary coffers of their successful clients. The tort system is available for the advantage of regular individuals as opposed to the interests of the business world, and therefore the program and its major players (the victims and their attorneys) consistently experience attacks and constantly must fight for their rights.
If you have been injured in a Burbank Dog Bite, please call us today for your free, private consultation with an experienced Burbank Dog Attack attorney.